Dr. Valerie Futch is a postdoctoral fellow at Youth-Nex studying adolescent identity development, youth-adult relationships in out-of-school programs, and emerging adulthood. She received her B.S. in Psychology from Stetson University in 2002. Prior to joining Youth-Nex, Valerie was a student in Social-Personality Psychology at the Graduate Center, City University of New York. Her dissertation documented the developmental impact of participation in a peer-education teen-theatre program called The SOURCE, located in Sarasota, Florida. While at CUNY she was also an Instructional Technology Fellow, a Writing in the Disciplines Fellow, and a Graduate Teaching Fellow. She is currently involved in the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues and an active member of the Public Science Project.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Close Relationships
- Group Processes
- Interpersonal Processes
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Self and Identity
- Sexuality, Sexual Orientation
Research Group or Laboratory:
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Burns, A., Futch, V. A., & Tolman, D. L. (2011). “It’s like doing homework”: Academic achievement discourse in adolescent women’s fellatio narratives. Sexuality Research and Social Policy, 8(3), 239-251.
- Fine, M., Pedraza, P., Jaffe-Walter, R., Futch, V., & Stoudt, B. (2007). Swimming: On oxygen, resistance, and possibility for immigrant youth under siege. Anthropology and Education Quarterly, 38(1), 76-96.
- Futch, V. A. (2011). (Re)presenting spaces of/for “at-opportunity” urban youth. Curriculum Inquiry, 41(1), 98-109.
- Katsiaficas, D., Futch, V. A., Fine, M., & Sirin, S. (2011). Everyday hyphens: Exploring youth identities with methodological and analytic pluralism. Qualitative Research in Psychology, 8(2), 120-139.
- Rosenthal, B. S., Wilson, C., & Futch, V. A. (2009). Trauma, protection, and distress in late adolescence: A multi-determinant approach. Adolescence, 44, 693-703.
- Futch, V. A., & Jaffe-Walter, R. (in press). "Everybody has an accent here”: Cultivating small schools that work for immigrant youth in New York City. In William Pink (Ed.), Schools and marginalized youth: An international perspective. Creekskill, NJ: Hampton Press.
- Lifespan Human Development
- Social Psychology
- Theories of Personality
405 Emmet Street South
Charlottesville, Virginia 22904
- Phone: (347) 559-4634